EclipseCrossword is one of the crossword creating tools available. It can be usefull as part of the training, for example during security awareness training. Or for creating a monthly competition…
- Can import your clues and answers text file (csv)
- output to printer, html, RTF, WMF
- can create interactive web page
- output to WMF is not good (way around: use HTML, EPS, or PDF)
I have used it to create a 100 words Security crossword. The layout creating went smoothly, and after few attempts a satisfactory layout was created (see below). Actually more time was spend on selecting the “words and their clues” than on the tool.
A simple example with 10 words is show below.
- 4. capability of resisting attack (7)
- 6. to retrace one’s course (9)
- 7. the quality or state of being impossible to know (9)
- 8. degree of excellence (7)
- 10. state of being fully developed (8)
- 1. not clearly seen (7)
- 2. fully grown and developed (6)
- 3. precautionary measure (9)
- 5. free from fear (8)
- 9. something that may cause harm (6)
The content of the input file “test10.csv” is shown below. Clues and words are from Merriam-Webster.
security;state of being secure safeguard;precautionary measure backtrack;to retrace one's course defense;capability of resisting attack mature;fully grown and developed maturity;state of being fully developed obscure;not clearly seen obscurity;the quality or state of being impossible to know threat;something that may cause harm quality;degree of excellence
Other outputs from the EclipseCrossword tool: