CoE (Council of Europe) Cybercrime has pubslihed a report called “Rules on obtaining subscriber information“, where questionnaire responses from different countries has been published.
Some of the questions are:
- Question 1: Is the term “IP address” defined for criminal law purposes?
- Question 2: Is an IP address considered to be personal data?
- Questions 3: What categories of data are considered subscriber information?
- Question 6: What categories of data are considered traffic data?
One of the conclusions are:
- “IP addresses may be considered subscriber information – as opposed to traffic data–
if the purpose is to identify a subscriber in relation to an IP address.”
Definitions varies from country to country. For more information and details, see the report.